Arizona heat is brutal, and temperatures can get hot quick! Here are a few DO’s & DON’Ts to keep your dogs safe and happy in the Arizona spring and summer heat.
- Check the weather before you walk your dog outside, and limit exercise if it’s above 85 degrees, Certain dog breeds are less tolerant to heat than others; such as short nosed breeds like Pugs, Bulldogs, Boston Terriers, and Shih Tzus, which are more susceptible to heat stroke.
- Check the sidewalk or asphalt before exposing your dog’s sensitive paws and risking severe burns. It’s best to keep your dog in shady, grassy areas instead if the pavement is too hot.
- Walk your dogs during cooler times of the day ~ early in the morning before 10am or when the sun goes down after 5 or 6pm in the evening.
- NEVER leave your dog or cat in the hot car! Temperatures can heat up quick, and even when you think it’s still cool out, the temperature in the car is likely 5-10 times as hot!
- Leave your dog outside in the summer heat: Not only can your dog’s skin burn in the heat, but they can get dehydrated and even suffer heat stroke. Never leave them outside in the heat for more than 30 minutes at a time if possible.
- Forget to give you pets water before you leave the house: Dogs can become severely dehydrated especially in the hotter summer months, always be sure to keep enough water for your dogs or cats no matter what!
- Use dog shoes: Those little booties might make you think you’re protecting your dog’s paws from the heat, but in reality, their paws are heating up even more, causing them to burn and cause more discomfort. If it’s too hot out, and you must get your dog some exercise, the best times are early AM or later in the evening when the sun has gone down and there is plenty of shade.
Does your dog need a dog walk or potty break? We can help give your dog the exercise they need and make sure they are safe from the heat in the hot Spring and Summer months in Arizona!
We can give them walks in the early morning or evening hours in the spring & summer months, or simply a quick potty break when you are away and they need to go outside! Click here to book your appointment or contact us for more info!